Do you have a beautiful new grill that is begging to be used, but you aren’t sure where to start?
After more than 50 years in the business of serving top performing restaurants with the highest quality, artisinally handled products, we at Meat The Butchers know our meat – and we’re happy to share our expertise with you.
Like a classic salt-and-pepper steak recipe, the best grilling tips are simple too. Follow our beginner’s guide, and soon you’ll be impressing your dinner guests with the culinary knowledge that will have you grilling like a natural.
Here are our top five tips:
1. Let your steaks come to room temperature for at least 20 minutes. A room temperature steak will grill more evenly.
2. Season your steaks with salt and pepper before you start your coals, about 15 minutes before they go on the grill. Make sure your grill is hot before you begin cooking.
3. Once they’re on the grill, leave your steaks alone! You’ll be tempted to check their progress, but your steaks will cook better if you grill each side for the same amount of time. Flip steaks only once, and give each side a quarter turn to create a pretty crosshatch grill pattern.
4. When you turn your steak, flip it onto a different hot spot where the coals are fresh.
5. Chill out and let your steaks rest after cooking under a tent of foil, for 5-10 minutes. This allows the juices to balance out.
Learning to grill is simple and very rewarding. Humans have been grilling meat for thousands of years – and you can grill meat tomorrow when you place your order for high quality sustainable proteins on Meat The Butchers’ online store