Meat The Truth – Seafood
MEAT THE TRUTH – SEAFOOD
A Short Schooling on Your Everyday Fish
• Seafood is packed with nutrients necessary in a healthy balanced diet!
• The USDA recommends two servings of seafood a week to reap the full benefits of this protein powerhouse.
• Fish is high in proteins, vitamins and minerals that can lower blood pressure and risk of heart disease by 36%
• Seafood averages 2% in fat and is consistently low in cholesterol, making it a heart-healthy choice for yourself or your family.
• Our bodies don’t produce Omega-3 fatty acids, but we can get them from nutrient-rich fish such as salmon, trout, tuna and oysters!
• Omega-3s help brains develop: children whose mothers ate 8-12oz of seafood a week during pregnancy scored higher in intelligence, cognitive development and eye health than children whose mothers avoided seafood.
• Most seafood can be cooked in under 15 minutes, making it not just healthy, but quick and easy!
Sustainable Fishing helps ensure that there’s always
plenty of fish in the sea!
• Since the late 1800s, fishing has risen to an industrial scale and this has lead to many problems.
• Our global fishing fleet is big enough to catch 2.5x what the ocean produces.
• 1 in 5 fish are caught illegally and unregulated or unreported.
• Commercial methods of fishing such as nets and trawls lead easily to overfishing and bycatch. For every 1 pound of shrimp caught, up to 6 pounds of other species are discarded.
• Fishing trawls and dredges can drag across the sea floor
and damage millions of pounds underwater habitats.>
• For the health of our oceans, make sure to ask your local restaurant or grocery store if they source sustainable seafood.
• Sustainable fishermen catch their fish with lines and not nets.